International Symposium «Innovative Costume of the XXI Century.The Next Generation» dedicated to the Year of Theatre in Russia and 125-th anniversary of the A.A. Bakhrushin State Central Theatre Museum
The Symposium will focus on artistic vocabulary, which is formulated by a new generation of theatre and fashion designers, will become a platform for dialogue on topical issues in the field of modern costume. It will be held in the framework of the international exhibition project “Innovative Costume of the XXI Century. The Next Generation” which will be opened on June 4 at the State Historical Museum. According to the results of the competitive selection carried out by 100 curators from around the world, 250 artists and designers from 50 countries will take part in the exhibition. The exhibition will feature the most original costume sketches, collages, photographs, computer projects, video and 3D costumes, implemented by designers for opera, ballet, theatre, cinema, installation and performance.
To participate in the Symposium are invited theatre costume designers and fashion designers; researchers, collectors and fashion historians; museologists, culturologists, art critics; students and independent creative costume makers; heads and teachers of theatre institutes, teachers- designers; heads and employees of Russian and foreign museums and fashion houses, theatre museums, curators of theatre museums, as well as representatives of the fashion industry, etc.
On June 17, within the framework of the Symposium well-known costume experts from around the world will make their presentations demonstrating their approaches to modern costume design, to the problem of innovation in the fashion industry.
As part of the Symposium in the memorial garden of the A.A. Bakhrushin Theatre Museum there will be shown performances of the artists.
On June 19, after the opening of the exhibition, there will be a discussion based on a critical analysis of the works presented at the exhibition.
Well-known designers will be speaking at the Symposium: Pat Oleshko (USA), Susan Tsu (USA), Matiaelena Roque (Spain), Rachel Hann (UK), Igor Roussanoff (USA), Nic Ularu (USA), Andrey Bartenev (Russia).
Main issues of the Symposium and the discussions:
- Innovative costume as an artistic phenomenon
- New philosophy, new concept, new artistic images of modern costume
- Theatre costume: modern vision
- New technologies and modern artistic images in theatre costume and fashion design
- Geography of innovative costume: cultural codes
- Novelty and elements of national cultures in modern costume
- Innovative costume: preservation of cultural heritage
- Training, mechanism of search and promotion of young talents in the fashion space
Official languages – Russian and English
The State Historical Museum (2 Red Square, Moscow)
A.A. Bakhrushin State Central Theatre Museum, exhibition hall “Karetny Saraj” (31/12 Bakhrushina street, Moscow, “Paveletskaya” metro station)
TRAVEL EXPENSES, FOOD, ACCOMMODATION IS PROVIDED BY THE SENDING PARTY
The program includes tours of Moscow and visiting the theatres, as well as participation in the opening of exhibitions.
To participate in the Symposium, please send a completed application form by 30 April 2019 (Appendix 1).
Registration fee for participation in the Symposium – 1000 roubles, or 15 US dollars.
Please, send applications for participation in the Symposium to the Organizing Committee marked “Innovative costume of the XXI century” or you can use this form.
- for Russian participants: Gamula Irina Petrovna (Scientific secretary of the A.A. Bakhrushin Theatre Museum); +7(499)238 62 50; +7-916-219 41 43; firstname.lastname@example.org
- for foreign participants: Dilya Rudenko (Head of the international department of the A.A. Bakhrushin Theatre Museum); +7(499)238-79-33, +7-919-963 24 54; email@example.com